Janet Pittman Reed is an attorney in Jacksonville, North Carolina, and handles Family Law cases such as Divorce & Separation, Personal Injury, Traffic, Criminal Law, Driver’s License Restoration Services, and Civil Litigation cases.
Law Office of Janet Pittman Reed
Post Office Box 1439
Jacksonville, NC 28541
Phone: (910) 381-1758
Attorney, Law Offices of Janet Pittman Reed. Since February 2016, Ms. Reed has practiced law in Jacksonville, North Carolina. Her practice includes:
· General law practice, including representation of traffic, criminal law, uncontested divorce, power of attorney, wills, domestic, separation agreements, custody agreements, and personal injury matters.
· Prepare and review pleadings, settlement agreements, contracts, deeds of trust, powers-of-attorney, wills, trusts and other documents
· Represent clients in personal injury and social security cases
At the same time, Ms. Reed has provided services as a lead litigation support as part of a litigation team and legal research as part of her consulting firm:
Janet Pittman Reed Consultants, Owner, Jacksonville and Raleigh, North Carolina, 1992-Present.
· Conduct litigation support and legal research in concert with the litigation team of paralegals and attorneys utilizing traditional methods and computer-based applications in family law, Chapter 11 Bankruptcies, Civil Litigation.
· Analyze and compile data for bankruptcy filings and research legal issues to Bankruptcy, Corporate and Family Law Cases
· Analyze contracts and modifications, court transcripts, pleadings, as well as background documents to assist attorneys with case strategy and development
Attorney, Law Offices of Janet Pittman Reed, Jacksonville, NC, 1998-2010:
· Represented clients in civil litigations, civil rights, landlord/tenant relations, family law, corporate law, contract drafting and negotiations, real estate transactions, and dispute resolution including mediation and settlement conferences
· Prepared and reviewed pleadings, settlement agreements, contracts, deeds of trust, powers-of-attorney, wills, trusts and other documents
· Performed research, drafted memos, motions and other court filings for a general litigation firm with a variety of clients.
Compliance Office, Detroit, MI and Chicago, IL,1989-1992, US Department of Labor, Office of Compliance and Contracts and Purchases.
· Conducted investigations involving contractors’ compliance with affirmative action and non-discrimination policies for minorities, women, handicapped and veterans which resulted in preparation and generation of reports for review by federal agencies
· Provided general assistance to the compliance office working with a diverse population
Ms. Reed graduated with a Juris Doctor Degree from the University of Florida Holland Law Center, Gainesville, Florida in 1985, and was admitted to the practice of law in North Carolina in 1997.
Summer Legal Internship Syracuse University Study Abroad Program in London England, United Kingdom Studying English Legal models through hands- on experience working with Barristers and Solicitors at the Greenhouse, Stirton, and Co. in Islington, England.
Before her law studies, she received a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Illinois, Champaign, Illinois, Political Science/Business Major (1979-1983).
· NC State Bar
· NC Advocates for Justice
· American Bar Association
· National Bar Association
· NC Bar Association
· Fourth Judicial District Bar Association
Volunteer and Community Development
· Member of the Professional Wellness Committee of the North Carolina Bar, whose purpose it is to make sure that lawyers of all ages and stages of practice have the information and support they need to take care of themselves, as well as their clients (September 2018 – present). See https://ncbarblog.com/welcome-to-the-new-professional-wellness-committee/
· Member Legal Affairs Committee 2018-2019, North Carolina Advocates for Justice (NCAJ) The Legal Affairs Committee focuses on developing the amicus moot court programs that are an important part of the work that NCAJ does to serve the legal community. See https://www.ncaj.com/index.cfm?pg=about_us
· Volunteer with the Charity Tri-Counties Crusaders, a Housing Assistance Service in Jacksonville, North Carolina. The Charity is a reentry program that provides a pre- and post-release programs for those formerly incarcerated in Eastern, North Carolina. See https://www.facebook.com/TCCReentry/
· Volunteer, Raleigh Rescue Mission, Raleigh, NC
· Volunteer, Dress for Success, Raleigh/Durham, NC
· Volunteer Attorney, North Carolina Bar Association- Lawyer on the Line
· X-Treme Travel Certified Travel Agent offering group and individual travel services.
· Motivational Speaker including being Moderator, Guest Speaker on Basic Family Law services including custody and domestic violence, Juneteenth Event guest Speaker
Attorney Profile: https://solomonlawguild.com/janet-p-reed
The Law Office of Janet Pittman Reed announced today that principal attorney Janet Pittman Reed is setting up a new legal blog https://janetreedesq.blogspot.com/ which will focus primarily on Family and Domestic Relations Law, how to locate information, and how the law is changing.
“With all the sometimes confusing information regarding Family Law, I felt that I could help explain the important issues at hand to families in need” said Janet Pittman Reed. “I have more than a decade of experience working in this area, and can help people understand the issues before a dispute develops, and obtain initial information when they need legal help.”
Family law does not only encompass marriage, children, divorce, and marital assets, but also implicates tax and retirement issues. The procedures are very complex and hard to understand for a layperson.
Ms. Reed is planning to inform affected families so that they are better prepared for what awaits them in a family law proceeding, such as divorce or child custody.
Ms. Reed explains that she has noticed in her practice that “many affected families do not know that the court system and non-profit organizations provides a lot of support. For example, the North Carolina Judicial Branch website has several videos that explain family law proceedings, including a video on Family Court Orientation and a new video on Parent Education, Access and Visitation.”
This is based on Session Law 1999-237 House Bill 168 Section 17.16, which authorized the North Carolina Administrative Office of the Courts (NCAOC) to establish an educational program for parents who are parties to a custody or visitation action and to administer any parent education. These parent education programs make divorcing parents or parents living in separate homes aware of the needs of their children. The informative video that the court system provides, “The Most Important Job,” provides guidance for parents from professionals as well as from the child's perspective. Family courts provide this type of education locally according to their local rules. To accompany this video, the court system has published a handbook, The Most Important Job: Parenting Information for Families Living Apart (North Carolina Parent Education Handbook). Ms. Reed believes that such information should be provides more widely to lessen the stress and burden on families, and she will contribute to that.
Ms. Reed also explains that often multi-state issues are involved, that make this field of law even more complex. “For example, family law is sometimes implicated in child custody cases when you have a spouse from a different State. When one parent takes the child to another State, or from another to North Carolina, this may result in a legal dispute as to in which State the child should live. Other areas of broader implications are marriages with spouses from different states, or where one spouse was married before.”
Janet Pittman Reed is planning to inform the public about such available information, procedures and developments so that any family law matter can proceed more smoothly and put less stress on the family and particularly children.
About Janet Pittman Reed, Attorney in North Carolina
Janet P. Reed is an attorney in Jacksonville, North Carolina, and handles Family Law cases such as Divorce & Separation, Personal Injury, Traffic, Criminal Law, Driver’s License Restoration Services, and Civil Litigation cases.
Attorney Profile: https://solomonlawguild.com/janet-p-reed